Monday, September 3, 2012

September Spending Fast

By “spending fast” I do not mean spending my money quickly, but rather a fast from spending money for the month of September.  Let me explain.

I recently read the book “7: A Mutiny Against Excess” by Jen Hatmaker.  I’m not going to tell you much about this book because I have a blog post coming up about that.  However, this book touched me so deeply.  It really, REALLY made me realize how much stinkin’ stuff that I have.  And yet, I just keep buying. And buying. And buying.  I love to shop, for pretty much anything—whether it be clothes, tennis shoes, music, books, nail polish, makeup, skin products, or food.  I am trapped in the never-ending wheel of consumerism and IT NEEDS TO STOP!  What does it say about me that I say I’m a God lover, and yet I spend so much time on myself and things that I don’t actually need?  I think it says something bad.  I certainly know that Christ is not going to look at my self-loving attitude toward spending money and congratulate me. 

For the month of September, I am not going to spend money on myself.  Please note this does not include gas money, necessities (toothpaste or the like), or an occasional food item (for example, going out to lunch with a friend).  This is about thinking about how I am throwing around my money, not about making strict rules.  I am going to use this month to start that change.  Change my attitude.  Change my priorities.  Fill the time I was spending thinking about myself and what I want to focus on others.  Obviously, not spending money is NOT the end all and be all.  It is simply a step toward stopping the continual gratification of my every whim and, more than that (hopefully), cultivating a better attitude.

I am not doing this because I think it will make me more holy.  I do not think you are less holy than me because you are not doing this.  I am doing this because, as it says in Lamentations 3:40: “Let us examine our ways and test them, and let us return to the LORD.”  I have looked at my own lifestyle and been saddened by what I see.  I want to humbly return to the LORD.   Jesus told the rich man to sell all he had and give to the poor and then he would have treasure in heaven.  I find ways to exempt myself from this by saying that the man loved his stuff too much but that I’m not like that.  But honestly, HONESTLY, would I be able to do it?  I don’t think I would. 

Have an opinion on this? I welcome you to share it! Hope you are having a wonderful holiday weekend, my dear readers.  Joyfully yours,

Danielle

3 comments:

  1. First - good job!
    Second - does this include buying presents for others?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, I wouldn't apply it to buying things for other people

      Delete
  2. Good. Your friends can still like you during your spending fast then. :)

    ReplyDelete