Thursday, January 10, 2013

Undone


I have always sort of disassociated emotion with true worship.  I tend to think of people pouring to the front of a church for altar calls or being swept away and making promises to God in a rush of emotion.  I am inclined to think that rushes of emotion like that don’t last and therefore our commitment to our God needs to be built on more solid foundations.  I certainly still think that it is true that our love of God does not develop in a moment but rather is a growing to know Him and understanding all that He does for us.  Continually basking in His Bible and His promises for a life more than this one.  We do need to have a firm foundation for our faith.
Source
 
But I also think that our life in Christ cannot be without emotion.  All I have to do is think of Jesus weeping for his friend Lazarus.  Of David dancing and beating his chest, praising God.  I think of Daniel praying to God in the lion’s den and Moses praying for the nation of Israel when they sinned against God.  Those moments certainly were not without deep emotion.  Indeed, they were emotional BECAUSE they had such faith. 

I figure there isn’t anyone I’d rather be like than Daniel, Moses, or David.  And most of all, Christ.  So it is okay, even good, to sometimes be swept away with your sorrow or joy.  It is sometimes needful to come before God with a breaking heart and tears.  It is wonderful to sing and dance with joy because your heart is full of His goodness. 
Source

Psalms 47:1 Clap your hands, all peoples! Shout to God with loud songs of joy!

Psalms 96:11-13 Let the heavens be glad, and let the earth rejoice; let the sea roar, and all that fills it; let the field exult, and everything in it! Then shall all the trees of the forest sing for joy before the LORD, for he comes, for he comes to judge the earth. He will judge the world in righteousness and the peoples in his faithfulness.

Psalm 34:18 The Lord is near to the brokenhearted and saves the crushed in spirit.

John 11:35 Jesus wept.

2 Samuel 6:14 David, wearing a linen ephod, danced before the LORD with all his might.

2 comments:

  1. I love to worship with emotion, it is a major way that I abide with God. That said, if I don't feel it, I don't force it. I can just worship in word and truth, knowing who I am worshiping. Sometimes a lyric or the presence of the Spirit can push me into a clapping, crying mess, and that is okay too. :) Great post. Love the Word in this!!

    ReplyDelete