Friday, February 22, 2013

Easy Tips for Falling Asleep


source
 
We all love our sleep.  But sometimes, it is really hard to fall asleep.  I have compiled a list of my favorite tips for falling asleep.  Some of them I'm sure you've heard before, but hopefully you can learn something new. And I'd always love to hear your ideas, so please share!

  • Make sure your skin and lips are moisturized... it may sound crazy but I've read that little discomforts like this can lead to a more fitful sleep
source

  • Use your bedroom just for sleep! Don't do work on your bed or lie in your bed to watch TV.  Also, don't clutter your room with distracting pictures, even if they are of family members.  (Now, I'll be honest... I don't follow this rule!)

  • Don't eat or exercise within a couple hours of bedtime

  • Keep a regular schedule AKA go to bed and wake up at approximately the same every day

  • Make sure your room is a comfortable temperature.  Personally, I can't stand a hot room when I'm sleeping.  Even in the winter, I keep a fan going full blast.  To me, a warm room keeps me awake and makes my sleep fitful.

  • One of the things that keeps me up the most is noise.  I like the white noise of a fan, but I also use ear plugs, which I fully believe are the best invention ever.

  • DON'T LOOK AT THE CLOCK, whatever you do! And don't lie in bed for hours stressing about falling asleep.  If I can't fall asleep, I usually get up and walk around for a few minutes.  If this doesn't help, I will read for a bit.  Almost always does the trick.
source

  • Try stretching before bed.  It not only relaxes your body, but it can also relax your mind.  For tips on my favorite way of streching, read this post about foam rollers.

  • Write things down before you go to bed.  If you have a to-do list floating around in your head, it creates stress and keeps you from falling asleep.  If you write it down, you can be assured you will remember the next day.
 

2 comments:

  1. Great tips. LOL. I am a fortunate person because I can fall asleep with seconds of lying down in bed. But when I can't sleep I always count my breaths. Just breathing slow and counting as I breathe keeps me from thinking about stuff (which is the only thing that keeps me from sleeping) and relaxes /bores me enough to finally sleep.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oo, I do that too! Thanks for sharing your tip!

      Delete