Friday, February 1, 2013

Something that is Wonderful.


Yes, that is food.  Cause I think food is wonderful.  I tried this out the other night on my family and my friend, Joy, and they seemed to like it.  I certainly did.  It is definitely a bit time consuming but I broke the process up into steps.  The night before I roasted the squash and made the filling, I made the pasta in the afternoon the day of, and I added the sauce that night.  But however you do it, I think it’s worth it cause it is gooooood. 

Butternut Squash Ravioli
1 butternut squash (about 1 ½ pounds)
Cooking  spray
1 TBSP chopped fresh oregano
2 TBSP unsalted butter, melted
2.5 ounces Parmesan cheese, grated
3/8 tsp salt
½ tsp freshly ground black pepper
36 wonton wrappers  (you can find these around the tofu)
1 large egg, lightly beaten
2 garlic cloves
1 ½ cups fresh baby spinach
½ cup fresh basil
¼ cup walnuts, toasted and chopped
2 TBSP extra virgin olive oil
2 TBSP vegetable broth
1 tsp lemon juice

Bake squash at 4000 (you should definitely put it on a baking pan) for about 30 minutes or until soft enough to cut.  Remove seeds and scrape out pulp into bowl.  Mash.  Combine oregano, squash, and butter in a large bowl.  Stir in 2 ounces (1/2 cup) cheese, ¼ tsp salt, and ¼ tsp pepper.  Spoon about 1 ½ tsp of squash mix into wonton center (keep other wonton wrappers under paper towels until using). Moisten edges of wonton with beaten egg and pinch edges to seal in a triangle.  Repeat.



 

Place garlic in food processor and pulse.  Add remaining ½ ounce (2 TBSP) cheese, 1/8 tsp salt, ¼ tsp pepper, spinach, basil, and 2 TBSP walnuts.  With processor on, slowly pour oil, broth and juice through chute.  Process until well blended.

Bring 6 quarts of water to boil.  Add half ravioli and cook 3 minutes; remove with slotted spoon.  Repeat.  Add to pesto and toss.   
 
 
WARNING: I mistakenly made the ravioli and stuck it in the fridge all afternoon without the sauce.  This made one giant blob of ravioli that could not be pulled apart and had to be cut. It was still delicious!  Enjoy!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment