Monday, February 4, 2013

The biggest shame of all

source

It makes me sad how true this quote is.  We have each been given such a finite amount of time in this life.  As cliché as it sounds, it is so important to really live.  In the scheme of things, think of how few words you will actually speak.  Think of how few your years will be.  What are you doing with those precious commodities?  Are you using them for careless things?  Or are you using them to build others up and make a difference? 

As a student, I see a lot of people who wish away their lives.  They can’t wait to finish school.  It’s like they are waiting to be a real person until after they are finished with school and started in their career.   But why wait?  If you do, you are simply wasting wonderful moments that you could be having.   Many times I have been in the same boat of wanting to be done with school.  But rushing through life means that you are giving up a part of life.  Maybe we should just learn to be content-- here, now, in the moment, wherever you are and whatever you are doing.

I think it is the same with words too.  I think of all the words I have spoken in my whole life.  Some of them have been to make a difference.  But many have been hurtful and destructive.  Even more of them have been selfish and petty.

I don’t want these things to be true.  I don’t want to spend time and words that can’t be taken back.  I want the time I spend and the words I speak to be meaningful.  When I look back at my life, I don’t want to think, Oh, what a shame that my life has not accomplished anything.  Because that would be the biggest shame of all. 

No comments:

Post a Comment