Monday, March 4, 2013

Fearfully and wonderfully made.


Happy Monday! Hope y'all had a great weekend. I spent Saturday helping Joy clean her new house (whoo hoo!) and then Sunday at church and relaxing at home.  I wrote a few weeks ago about those feelings of inferiority that creep into your mind at the worst moments.  You know, when you think your hair looks great and then you see someone whose hair looks ten times better.  Or you think you did great with your 95% on a test until you look over and see the person next you... 98%.  BAM!  You feel inferior.  How do you fight it?  Here are a few suggestions.  

source

God first.  
Remember, He created us.  He made us look and feel the way we do.  He says we are treasures.  Let's believe that we are.

Stop focusing on yourself.  
Often, we get so consumed in our own lives-- our failings, our looks, ourSELVES that we forget that it isn't always about us.  I find that if I stop thinking about myself for a second and throw myself into something more useful such as helping someone or working on a project, my mood improves immensely.  When you are hard at work, you won't take time to think about the ways you don't measure up.  

Have humility.  
This may seem counterintuitive, because if we feel inferior aren't we already being humble? I would suggest that this is not the case.  I think the real reason for feeling inferior can come from the fact that we have a lot of pride.  We want to be the best, smartest, prettiest girl around.  When we aren't, we feel inferior.  A realization that there will always be someone smarter or prettier than us can actually overcome that feeling of inferiority because we become content with ourselves the way we are.  

2 comments: