Wednesday, January 29, 2014

Story of a Nerd

The nerd= me.

When I was a kid, I used to love the library (ok, still do). We didn't have a community library but we could go the high school where there was a small library. I went several times a week. I literally think I read most of the books in the children/young adult section. I also knew the librarians very well. Helen was an older lady and Steve (who seemed soooo old at the time) was finishing college with an economics degree. Yes sir, I loved my library!

source
Every summer, I would sign up for the summer reading club and win because I read more than any other kid. One year I remember Steve was so excited to give me a surprise... my prize was TWO MOVIE TICKETS! Man alive, that was so wonderful! I saved those tickets for months until I found the perfect movie to use them on.  

I remember being SO excited to turn 11 because being 11 meant that you could volunteer at the library. As soon as I did, I began to volunteer at the library two evenings a week. Most of the time I spent shelving books, which was honestly as boring as all get-out, but I loved when I got to check customers out.

Ok, one last nerd factor about me and the library? Chess club. Dalton and I used to go to Chess Club at the library on Sunday afternoons. Don't get me wrong, this was a very informal Chess Club as I am terrible at chess. But Chess Club nonetheless...

What did you love when you were a kid?

No comments:

Post a Comment