Thursday, February 27, 2014

Don't be Negative Nancy!

As I mentioned before, I had a Physical Therapy grad school interview last week. I was super nervous but the day before, I went to a mock interview at the career center. It went GREAT. Seriously, my "interviewer" had nothing but good things to say about me.  She liked my personality and she said that I was really good at being positive about everything. So I was feeling pretty darn good. I've got this!!



Come Friday, I had my real interview.  Well guess who decided to show up for that? Negative Nancy. All my positive answers flew out the window and all of a sudden I felt like I answered way more negatively than I meant it to come out.

Interviewer: "Were there any places that you didn't enjoy interning?"
Me: (What I meant to say: Well, I learned a lot from all my internships but my least favorite internship was at the hospital) What I really said: "I HATE THE HOSPITAL."

Interviewer: "How do you solve conflict when you are working with other people?"
Me: (What I meant to say: I solve conflict by trying to approach the problem from the other person's perspective. Putting yourself in their shoes really helps you to understand why they are acting the way they are.  As a Physical Therapist, I believe it is really important to be able to work with other people. You can't always have your way so it is necessary that you are able to compromise on things when they aren't vital.) What I really said: "I HATE PEOPLE AND I DON'T KNOW HOW TO RESOLVE CONFLICT."

Ok, so maybe my answers weren't quite like that, but I feel that I represented myself a lot more negatively than I meant to.  Definitely something I am taking note of so that I can improve for my next interview!!

Do you have any funny interview stories?

No comments:

Post a Comment