Tuesday, February 25, 2014

YOU Are Enough.

source

I've written on eating disorders before here, but because I found out this week is National Eating Disorder Awareness week, I thought I'd write about it again! Many of you know that I am very passionate about preventing eating disorders. I firmly believe that the only way to truly prevent eating disorders is to STOP promoting the myth that your appearance is everything. To stop our obsession with dieting. To stop counting calories. To stop BELIEVING that you must look or be a certain way to be beautiful.

Because you don't.  I can tell you that beauty is on the inside, like most people will.  But do we really believe it? I don't think so.

In many cases, eating disorders stem from some desire inside to be DIFFERENT than you are now. Whether it is to be thinner or healthier or have more self control, it's because we believe that the way we are isn't good. But remember-- God made you.  He made your face. He made your hair. He made your body. He made your teeth. He made your hands and feet. He made you and you are ENOUGH.

I wish we could change the world. But I can't. Our culture will probably expect women to have perfectly tanned and hairless skin, unnaturally straight teeth and three-foot eyelashes. Oh, yeah, and you must have a thin yet curvy body.  Oh, but you can't take too long getting ready either.  Or eat too little. Or too much. Or workout too much. Or too little. Sound ridiculous? It is.  Our culture has taken the beautiful women (and men) that God has created and told them that that's not enough. ENOUGH of that! 

When doubts come: you are enough. You may not have the perfect hair, but no one really does. Your body may not be perfectly hairless, but no one's is. Your body may not be perfect, but it is perfect for you.

While I have diverged from eating disorders a bit, the point I'm trying to make is this-- as long as we are dissatisfied with ourselves, there will always be a problem. Whether it is an eating disorder, or an obsession with tanning, or a lack of self confidence, it's all the same. It's letting this world strip you of who God has made you to be and turn you into something fake.  Enough!

No comments:

Post a Comment