Thursday, April 10, 2014

The Happiness Project

I have just finished reading The Happiness Project and have to say it is one of the best books I have read this year! I absolutely loved the author, Gretchen Rubin.  She reminds me a lot of myself. Unfortunately, like her, I get frustrated quite easily and tend to be very snappy with people. This is not right at all and I try very hard to change my quick reactions! It is very much a work in progress. Also like her, I feel like I am always striving to find a better way to be.  In the book, it is interesting to see the contrast between her and her husband, who is very content with life as it is.  Gretchen, on the other hand, felt the need to start a 12 month project that focuses on being happier. This might come naturally to many people, but it doesn't for me, and it doesn't for the her either.  Instead, I love the thought purposefully seeking happiness. The 12 month project is designed with an overall goal for each month-- whether it be focusing on her marriage and kids, spending more time doing things she enjoys, listening better, or going to bed early.  Over the journey, she learns to be less impatient with people (yay!), admit that she isn't good at everything, and have fun with her children.

source
I honestly can't tell you how much I enjoyed this book and the author (probably because I think she is a lot like me). It really inspired me to purposefully think about seeking happiness! Her website has great information and a chart you can use to make your own happiness resolutions.  

I also have The Happiness Project 5-year one sentence journal that my brother gave me and I have been keeping up with! I have never been able to keep up with a diary but I can write one or two sentences about every day! I am excited to actually be keeping a record of my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment