Wednesday, November 5, 2014

Jesus for King

A Facebook friend wrote yesterday, "My candidate is not on the ballot today. Jesus for King, 2014."  I don't post this to be disrespectful to those to my readers who do vote, but simply to share why I didn't cast my vote yesterday.  While I am quite thankful for the country I live in and I respect the government, as we are commanded to in Romans 13, I believe my true citizenship lies in the future Kingdom of God.  

Let every person be subject to the governing authorities. For there is no authority except from God, and those that exist have been instituted by God. Therefore whoever resists the authorities resists what God has appointed, and those who resist will incur judgment. Romans 13:1-2

We are told that we are strangers and sojourners in this land. We are seeking a kingdom that is not yet here. Just like Abraham and his descendants, we are looking to be part of something even greater than what this world can offer.  Governments ruled by humans will never be perfect, but a government where Jesus is King will be truly righteous and just!

For we are strangers before you and sojourners, as all our fathers were. Our days on the earth are like a shadow, and there is no abiding. 1 Chronicles 29:15

These all died in faith, not having received the things promised, but having seen them and greeted them from afar, and having acknowledged that they were strangers and exiles on the earth. For people who speak thus make it clear that they are seeking a homeland. If they had been thinking of that land from which they had gone out, they would have had opportunity to return. But as it is, they desire a better country, that is, a heavenly one. Therefore God is not ashamed to be called their God, for he has prepared for them a city. Hebrews 11:13-16

I think of it a bit like my husband, Daniel, who is applying to become a permanent resident of the United States. Permanent residents live in a country, but they are not citizens. They don't have the right to participate in the government and are living away from their true country.  I hope that someday soon, Jesus will come to earth and I can claim my citizenship in his kingdom!  

We are told that God places the rulers in their places. He has that power, and I certainly don't want to be voting for someone against God's will.  While I might try my best to vote for who God wants, I can't claim that I would truly be doing God's will. Whoever is in power is there because God has placed them there. I certainly wouldn't have voted for many of the wicked leaders throughout history, but God saw fit to put them in power to accomplish His plan.  I will leave that decision up to God.  

He changes times and seasons; he removes kings and sets up kings; he gives wisdom to the wise and knowledge to those who have understanding. Daniel 2:21

Jesus for King!

No comments:

Post a Comment