Wednesday, November 11, 2015

The Least of These

Jesus will reply, "I tell you the truth, whatever you did not do for one of the least of these, you did not do for me." -Matthew 25:45


Having just moved into a poorer area of town, I am having a whole new experience than I had growing up. I don't think I ever saw a homeless person in my town growing up. Now every day I see multiple people begging on the street. I see homeless people with carts full of stuff. I even saw a mom with a little baby, sitting out beside Target and asking for diapers. May our hearts never get too hard to feel compassion on these people.

Growing up, my parents always taught me by example to give what I could. Now, more than ever, my heart is opened to those around me who don't have what I do. To think about being cold all winter long and to never have a nice warm home to go into. To think of not ever having a full belly. To think of not being able to go get a snack when you start getting a headache from being hungry. To think of not knowing if you were going to be able to care for your children tomorrow. What would that be like? I really can't imagine.

Sometimes we are too quick to refuse to help. What if they buy drugs with our money? we think. What if they are just pretending to need help to scam me? 

I've long since come to the conclusion that it is not my choice to make whether someone truly deserves help. It's my duty to love. It's my duty to give. I encourage you to do the same.

Lately, I've been praying to be able to find the best ways to love the poor and needy. So often, I do something small like giving them a few dollars. There's nothing wrong with that, but I get the feeling that the act makes me feel better about myself while doing very little for that person. I'm praying to find the best way to impact those around me and show them God's love. 

Do share if you have any ideas! 

No comments:

Post a Comment