Friday, November 4, 2016

Breaking Bad Habits

This is not a post on habits about a TV show. 

We all have bad habits and I know for myself, bad habits can really hinder my walk in Christ. But habits are SO hard to break. I've done a little research (aka looked around Google for credible sources) and put together some of my favorite suggestions for breaking bad habits.



Replace your bad habits. 

This one comes straight from the Bible, where Jesus tells a parable in Luke 11 about if you cast out your demons (aka bad habits), they will come right back if you don't replace it with good habits. If I want to stop looking at Facebook so frequently, I don't sit around and twiddle my thumbs, wishing to be on Facebook. Instead, I find something positive to fill that space with.

Find a partner in crime good.

If you never tell anyone about the bad habit you are trying to break, who will hold you accountable? Going back to the Facebook example, if I tell my husband that I'm trying to waste less time on Facebook, you can bet he will harass me about it anytime I'm on Facebook. 

Confess your bad habit to God and pray for help in overcoming it. 

Sometimes, if I have a habit I am ashamed of, I pretend it's just not there. As if I can hide from God. I truly believe that if we confess our bad habits to God and REALLY seek for Him to help us overcome them, He will! He is a merciful God and He knows what is really in our hearts. 

If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just and will forgive us our sins and purify us from all unrighteousness. 1 John 1:9

Choose good friends.

Ok, so we can definitely form bad habits WITHOUT the help of friends. But if we have friends who encourage us in our bad habits, we're really in a rough spot. If I have the kind of loyal friend who I can share my bad habits with AND they encourage me, it really helps to make a change in my life. Good friends point us in a good direction!

Do not be mislead: Bad company corrupts good character! 1 Corinthians 15:33 

So what are some other ways or Bible verses that you use to overcome bad habits? 

No comments:

Post a Comment