Friday, December 9, 2016

Get Moving!

It's not the normal content of my blog, but being in the health field means that I am passionate about exercise. No one will be healthy forever, but exercise can greatly improve your quality of life! However, I know that sometimes it can be SO hard to get moving and stick to a routine. I hope you find these tips and routines helpful and encouraging. 


One way that I commit to fitness are to plan out my workouts at the beginning of the week. At this time of year, I also have "backup" workouts, like if I was supposed to go for a run/walk and it ends up raining! You'll be way more likely to exercise if you have a buddy, so choose a friend who also wants to exercise and plan two days a week to do so. That way, even if you want to cancel, you really can't (: It's important to make your workouts as convenient as possible, too, so that you won't have an excuse to opt out. 
 
Also, I love to listen to podcasts while I am running (if I don't have a buddy), so if music doesn't make you feel like grooving, try a podcast (I've been listening to Serial recently but also love This American Life). Lastly, if you have a rarely-used gym membership, I highly recommend trying out some workout classes. That is the one thing that I miss most about having a gym membership! Luckily, there are also SO many awesome routines on Youtube to do in the comfort of your own home. 

I thought I'd share some suggested routines for beginner to intermediate levels to encourage you to get out there and move! I think you will find these workouts convenient and enjoyable! Don't forget to grab a friend to walk with or download some music/podcasts. 

WHERE DO I START? ROUTINE:
2x/week- walk for 20-30 minutes at a fast pace

I LIKE EXERCISE BUT DON'T HAVE ANY EQUIPMENT ROUTINE:
2x/week- walk for 30 minutes at a fast pace
1x/week- Cardio video
On the weekend- go on a hike you've been wanting to do (take a friend or spouse)

I LIKE EXERCISE AND HAVE FREE WEIGHTS AT HOME ROUTINE:
2x/week- walk for 30 minutes at a fast pace
1x/week- jog for 20-30 minutes (interspersed with walking if needed, no shame!)

I WILL NEVER GO TO THE GYM ROUTINE:
1x/week- go rock climbing at your local climbing wall!
1x/week- go on a new hike with a friend
1x/week- Fun Zumba routines (a playlist with many songs to choose from!) 

These are just a few ways that you can incorporate cardio exercise and strength exercise in your week. There are millions of ways you can exercise! If you don't like just "exercising" try a dancing or Zumba video. 

Don't forget to reward yourself for sticking to a whole week of exercise! Please let me know if you have any questions. I'd love to talk fitness with you anytime. 

3 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Yes, she is awesome!! Have you done her 30 day challenges before? I am hoping she will have a new one starting in January!

      Delete
    2. I'm doing the yoga camp one right now! I'm on day 12!

      Delete