Tuesday, January 10, 2017

My Hardest Fruit

I wanted to write something inspirational so I decided that I would write about the fruit of the spirit that is the most difficult for me to do. Then I realized that most of them are equally difficult for me to do, so how the heck would I choose?

But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, self-control; against such things there is no law. Galatians 5:22-23

I feel like there are quite a few of the characteristics that I have addressed multiple times on the blog (I'm talking to you love, joy, faith, kindness). But patience is an attribute I don't talk much about and, unfortunately, don't think much about. 

Pretty much the only time I think about patience is when someone is being impatient with me and I need to let them know to calm down and be patient. Because, obviously, the only person in the world who doesn't need to be more patient is me. #theyloveit 

Have you heard the saying that patience is a virtue? Well, the Bible tells us that's true. Not only that, God requires us to develop patience. I'm sure I'm not telling you anything new but it is HARD to be patient. It is often patience (well that, and a lot of hard work + God's blessing) standing between us and our dreams.

It's so natural to want everything to fall into place now. But it doesn't. We have to get through college to get that good paying job. We have to get that job to get the car and the house. We have to have patience to find the right person. We have to find the right person to build a life and have children. 

But we don't have to just have patience with life. We also need to have patience with others. And that takes a lot, sometimes, when people hurt us and let us down. Give them the same grace you would like to receive. Remind yourself that they are human too and that the things they struggle with might not necessarily be what you struggle with. 

But you know who we most often neglect to have patience with?

Ourselves. 

Don't make excuses for yourself, but also learn to give yourself grace. Is there something you are struggling with? Take it to God and be patient with yourself. He is working in you for a greater purpose. He is working in you to make you His child, if you will only follow. So now that I think about it, I think patience is one of the fruits that is most difficult for me! 

What fruit of the spirit do you struggle with? 

4 comments:

  1. Well said! Being patient with myself is something I could be much better at!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too! I beat myself up for the smallest things sometimes.

      Delete
  2. I struggle with patience a lot! I'm trying to work on it. This is a good reminder. Thanks :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I think impatience is built in to all of us... so it's something we all need to work on!

      Delete