Thursday, August 24, 2017

3 Ways Marriage Has Changed Me

Hello, friends! As some of you have noticed, I've been taking a (hopefully temporary) break from my blog, as there is just too much going on in real life to be able to do both. But I wanted to be sure to get my yearly anniversary post in. 

Daniel and I have been married for 3 years, which in some ways seems like forever but also SO short. Sometimes I think it's just crazy that I live with this cute boy that I only met 4 years ago. And you're welcome for all the kissing pictures. I only spent 9237493292 hours picking out a few for this post. 



I am much, much better at compromise, at giving in, at apologizing. 

Before I was married, I felt like I could really be/do what I wanted. If I didn't like a situation, I could remove myself from it. Now however, I have realized what it means to put another person first (although it certainly does not happen all the time). 

I never used to say that I was sorry, now I'm more often the first person to say so. Marriage really pinpointed my selfish attitude in that respect. I'd much rather apologize and move on than live with anger. 

I've learned to let things go, forgive, compromise, put another first. I don't ever want my own stubborn and selfish heart lead to grudges and bitterness. 



I'm more secure in who I am.

It's so nice having a person who has literally seen me at my very worst and doesn't reject me. When I'm sick, when I'm angry, when I just wake up, when I act like a huge baby-- he's still there. Sometimes I don't know why, but he is. I love that about marriage and I love being married to a guy who loves me despite myself. 



I've learned a lot about communication. 

Communication in marriage is just so vital. I've never been great at communicating, I'd rather pout or ignore a person than actually talk to them about the issue. However, when you live with that person, it's definitely not a good way to handle things. 

I've learned SO much about being able to communicate, especially since my husband is not a female and often usually doesn't think about things the way I do.  It's necessary that I learn to express how I am feeling and why I am feeling that way. Marriage has tested our communication to the core, which has been hard but sweet. 



How has marriage changed you?

Read Year 1, Year 2, Wedding 1, and Wedding 2 here!

Thank you for reading! I truly miss writing on here and hope that I will be able to write on this blog again soon. 

No comments:

Post a Comment